Saturday, February 18, 2006

The hoodie what never ends

So I've been working on this hoodie from the Spring/Summer 04 issue of VK since...oh...November of 2004. Early this fall, not long after what ended up basically being a summer-long break from knitting, I finally finished all the pieces of the hoodie.

Let's have a look at it, shall we?



First of all, I just want to say that I love the colorway. The pattern was intended for Koigu, but in my usual, anti-yarn snob fashion, I did it in just a Red Heart Super Saver. However, the color, Monet, is quite possibly the best thing ever created in the history of making yarn. It's been discussed in Knitting, even, and that's a pretty yarn-snobby place.

Plus, it was a pretty simple pattern. Knit a back, knit one side the same length as the back, knit another side just like it, some easy sleeves, and finally a ridiculously easy hood. A monkey could do it.

So why, after almost a year and a half, don't I have a pretty, watercolory flavored hoodie to wear around this spring?

Well, depending on who you ask, it's because seaming/counting is hard. Also, finishing sucks, no matter how you look at it. I finished the hood. I finished one side seam. But somewhere, along that second seam, I messed up, and ended up with about two inches difference in the armpit.

How did I do it? I have no idea. I measured all the pieces together beforehand, several times. Both against each other, and with a measuring tape. Why haven't I gone back and tried to fix it? I don't know. Frustration, laziness, disenchantment with what was otherwise a ridiculously simple pattern, maybe all of the above. Will I eventually get around to fixing it? Yes, undoubtedly, but most likely not before at least one, if not both, of my other current projects are finished. I'm just that annoyed with it.

Anyway, I think that brings us up to speed with what I'm working on. Yay.

No comments: