Sunday, March 31, 2013

I finished the back of my mini-dress last night. I guess I can be a really fast knitter when I have hours a day to spend on it.

I ran up against some issues when I reached the sleeve decreases. For size M, the first decrease row calls to decrease the color B stripes from four stitches to three, but then it's stated that from every row onward, they should only be one stitch, total, and then all other decreases should be made in the MC section.

I didn't particularly like the jag in the colors, so I adjusted the decreases so that the color B stripe gradually tapered down to one stitch, like so:

1st decrease row: K2, SKP (in color B), k to last 4 stitches, k2tog, k to end.
Next row: P
Repeat last two rows two times. At this point, only one stitch should remain in color B.
4th decrease row: K3, SKP (in MC), k to last 5 stitches, k2tog, k to end.
Next row: P
Repeat last two rows three times.

Obviously, this only applies to size M, but I don't think it'd be too hard to adjust for the bigger sizes if needed. I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out. I've got block the pieces and finish off the collar and sleeves, so hopefully by the end of the week I'll have it all done. Huzzah!

Sunday, March 17, 2013

My mini-dress is coming along very quickly.

I'm almost finished with the bust increases on the front, and about to start the armholes. As you can probably tell, I decided to go with the colorblocking at the waist after all. I really like these colors together.

I also realized this is essentially my first go-round with intarsia, which I've never had much success with before. Fortunately, I'm having no problems thus far. The pattern is incredibly easy. With any luck, I may have this finished by next week. Huzzah!

Thursday, March 07, 2013

Free time for more knitting

I've recently found myself among the ranks of the unemployed. While that has so far found me spending A LOT of time cleaning the house like mad, I'm slowly getting around to spending more time knitting.

As such, I finally finished the Hanna Cowl.

Just like I thought, it's HUGE. I also realized just before I finished the bind off that I'd missed three rows out of each of the last two pattern repeats, so it should be even larger. It also doesn't seem to have the same soft hand as the cowl in the pattern picture, which was part of what drew me to the pattern in the first place. I do still need to block it, but, obviously, there's only so much that will do to help.

My feelings may change once I've blocked it and worn it a time or two (although now that it's March, that may have to wait until next winter), but if I were to redo it, I'm pretty sure I'd make it two-thirds to half the width it calls for, and probably substitute ribbing for the seed stitch.

Now, onto the next thing: Caddy Melville Ledbetter's Mini Dress from Knits That Fit (a.k.a. the entire reason I wanted the book in the first place). I'm making it out of Cascade Ecological Wool and Eco+, in mustard yellow, delft blue, and cream.

So far the only changes I've made are to change the first three rows to 1x1 ribbing rather than garter stitch, but I'm toying with the idea of leaving the white band at the stomach out as well. We'll see how I feel when I get a little closer to it.

I'm only a few rows in, so no pictures yet, but hopefully soon!