Thursday, May 02, 2013
I sat my butt down and just spent the day hashing out the pattern. It's intended to be a produce basket, but could conceivably be applied to other uses, and will comfortably hold about 5 pounds per basket. It's knit lengthwise, using short rows to achieve shaping. I've included options for two different sized baskets, as well as two different depths of basket, and you can combine them in whichever way you choose. Gauge is a loose suggestion, as long as you are within a couple of rows either way, the baskets should stretch to accommodate.
Approx. 9 in. depth (approx. 7 in. depth)
- Lily Sugar'n Cream [100% Cotton; 150 yds/138 m per 85g skein]; color white, 1 ball per basket
- Fishing line [optional]
- Metal craft hoops - 10" diameter for larger basket, 8" diameter for smaller basket
- Approx. 3 ft of chandelier chain [available in the lighting section of home improvement stores]
Approx. 14 sts and 18 rows per 4 inch in yo, k2tog st, on size 10.5 needles.
- If the baskets are to be used to hold produce, I strongly recommend using a kitchen cotton yarn to allow the produce to breathe and to allow the baskets to be washed if needed. Otherwise, use whatever yarn you'd like!
- The baskets should stretch out slightly when filled. If you do not want it to stretch, you can hold fishing line along with the yarn while knitting to help hold the shape.
- I recommend not wrapping the stitches when you turn for the short rows in order to get a smoother look at the bottom of the basket.
- CO 30 (24)
First row [RS]: - k1, *yo, k2tog, repeat from * to last 5 st, k to end
Second row and all WS rows: - p
Third row: - k1, *yo, k2tog, repeat from * to last 5 st, k next 4 sts, turn
- k1, *yo, k2tog, repeat from * to last 5 st, k next 3 sts, turn
- k1, *yo, k2tog, repeat from * to last 5 st, k next 2 sts, turn
- k1, *yo, k2tog, repeat from * to last 5 st, k next st, turn
- k1, *yo, k2tog, repeat from * to last 7 st, turn
- k1, *yo, k2tog, repeat from * to last 9 st, turn
- k1, *yo, k2tog, repeat from * to last 11 st, turn
- k1, *yo, k2tog, repeat from * to last 13 st, turn
- k1, *yo, k2tog, repeat from * to last 15 st, turn
For 10" diameter basket, repeat 6 times. For 8" diameter basket, repeat 5 times.
BO. Seam up together cast on and bound off edges.
Attach basket to hoops by threading yarn through top row of eyelets and wrapping around hoop. Attach 3 6-inch lengths of chandelier chain evenly spaced to top basket, joining together at top. If adding another basket, attach with 3 additional 8-inch lengths between baskets.